The Victory Garden
Supporting Newtown’s Food Pantries
Your help is needed to provide fresh produce to the food pantries in Newtown
The food pantries provide food to over 2000 residents of Newtown. The pantries are exclusively for the use of Newtown residents. Presently most of these foods are canned, dried or frozen. Providing fresh, healthful produce to our neediest families is the goal of The Victory Garden. The Victory Garden is located in Fairfield Hills, which the Town of Newtown is generously providing the land, cultivation, water, and deer fencing by the support of the Newtown Parks and Recreation Department.
How you can help?
All donations are made through Parks and Recreation Department: Park Gift fund memo: Victory Garden
For more information, contact Amy Mangold, Director of Parks and Recreation, 203-270-4340
Volunteer your time:
- “Own a Row” – You, or you and your team can plant, cultivate and harvest a row in the garden. The produce will go directly to the food pantries. Share the work with a team; learn from each other and other teams.
- Help with the garden construction project
- Are you an experienced vegetable gardener? Teach novice gardeners and students.
- Students needing volunteer hours are welcome
- No time to commit to “Owning a Row”? We will be setting up public rows where the ‘uncommitted’ can garden without owning a row.
- No pesticides or herbicides will be used
- Picnic tables in the shade will be provided for gardeners to rest and socialize
- Optional vegetable garden competition (we will be looking for judges!)
- End of year harvest pot luck party at the old tennis courts
To sign up to “Own a Row,” contact Harvey Pessin email: email@example.com